Is it possible for me to write about what I enjoy? Is it necessary for me to have professional writing abilities in order to write what I want to tell my readers? Is it possible for me to make money by writing blogs?
These are some of the questions that might be striking in your mind.
Whether you are a self-paid employee or a housewife, you can easily start your blogging career. The only thing is that you must have the passion to write what you love and what you know.
If you are the one who is looking for the best guide on how to start blogging, let professionals help with years of experience in the writing industry.
Get the chapter-wise guide to know all the necessary steps how to start blogging. But before that let us explain some interesting facts about blogging.
- 42% of the websites are built on WordPress.
- 31.7 million is the predicted number of bloggers currently living in the US.
- A successful blogger spends approx 4 hours on average writing a post.
- 67% of bloggers (those who publish a blog on a daily basis) consider themselves successful.
- 97% of bloggers use different social media to promote their blogging results.
- 77% of the people regularly read blogs online.
- About 7 million blog posts get published per day.
- Blog articles with 2000+ words are considered to get better results.
- 61% of online US users bought something after reading an affiliate marketing blog.
Want to know more reasons to start blogging as a career?
Let’s know the top 10 reasons. These will help you to know why you should start blogging today!
- Blogging helps you to become a better thinker: The blogging process always motivates you to stop thinking irrelevant but think quite deep.
- You can keep an eye on meaningful things: If you want to articulate (join) the crucial thoughts and meaningful events, then blogging is the best option.
- Develop good habits for a healthier and good life: If you put the necessary time, commitment, devotion, and discipline into blogging, then it will become habitual for you. And you can develop a healthier life.
- Have the chance to inspire others: Blogs are available absolutely free for the readers, that is why it considers as an act of giving.
- You can become a creative writer: Blogging itself does not force you to write things in a better way, it just starts happening as you do it. So, blogging can make a creative writer.
- Get more confidence: With the help of blogging, you can easily realize how you can live in a better way and with a unique view.
- Have the chance to meet new people: On the online platform, you can meet the blogging communities that have friendly, genuine, and encouraging people who support you to do more and succeed.
- Help you to become well-rounded within your mindset: The responses of your readers can challenge you for a new and refreshing topic that you might not find important at first. Therefore, it helps you to mould your mind as per the needs of your readers.
- Become comfortable with being known: Blogging always introduces you to the world. It also helps you to join the life that you live with the world. Moreover, your worldview is also displayed behind your decisions.
- Get a reputed platform to recommend: It is quite obvious that we love to recommend something that we found beneficial and enjoyable. Blogging is the best option for this.
Now, you have the different facts and reasons why you should consider blogging as a career. If you have already decided to start your blogging journey, then I am glad to inform you that I am with you on this journey at each point.
In the sections below, I will explain the process of how to start blogging. Let’s start the journey by taking little but the best steps one by one.
Ready, let’s go!
Choose a topic that you enjoy writing about and buy a suitable hosting plan.
Step 1: Look what you love as a blogger and find what information people want from you
The first step of how to start blogging is understanding what you love is the most important point. And, in order to be a great blogger, you must understand who you are writing for and why you are writing it. As a result, you must be able to answer the question, “What does writing truly mean to you?” And who is your potential customer?
This is how you’ll figure out what is the niche of your writing. To get the right idea, you will have to do quality research and know the right target audience.
|Tip: Do not look for your favourable points. Consider things from the perspective of your consumer. Understand what challenges your customers want to solve and what are their pain points.|
Choose a strategy for knowing your consumers so you can figure out what niche you’ll have to focus on.
- Conduct an interview: Ask the person as many questions as you can. This will help you know about what the audience wants to know and what is the problem for which they are looking for an answer.
|Tip: Go to any university or college and interact with the students to understand what they want to know. Why students? Because research showed that the younger brains can process things much faster than the old generations. Therefore, they let you know the current scenario about your topic.|
- Consider the feedback: Getting feedback on a product, a service, or a topic may help you understand what your audience thinks about it. Therefore, try to take feedback from the people you meet.
|Tip: If you want to know how to start blogging over a niche, then do some research and create a questionnaire. Try to include all of the essential questions in your discussions and write them down in your notebook so you don’t forget them.|
- Use a variety of ideas: Sometimes, your audience response is unpredictable. As a result, experiment with alternative ideas, such as running a quiz on a topic or product on several social media platforms.
|Tip: Don’t limit yourself to social media; look at other channels like Beano. You may also use support.google.com and search your query as “Create & grade quizzes with Google Forms” to create a quiz. Share it on the different platforms to get the relevant quiz response.|
Can Google help you understand your writing niche?
Yes, why not!
There are two different techniques that you can use.
- Google Trends
- People Also Ask
It is one of the websites that is powered by Google. And it is used for analyzing the popularity of all the top searches across different languages and regions. The website uses the graph for comparing the different queries volume over time.
For example: Suppose you want to write about health topics, like obesity or hypertension. Then you can use Google Trend to know the interest of the people.
In this graph, you can see that hypertension is a more discussed or popular topic among people. Here, we have checked the interest of the people over 5 years at a worldwide level. Moreover, you can see the interest of the people in different regions.
People Also Ask
People Also Ask is boxed typed that displays dynamic SERP (search engine results page) features in the Google search engine. Or we can say that it contains the related set of questions to the original search queries.
For example: We used the examples of obesity and hypertension to better comprehend Google trends. In the same way, we’ll use the same example here.
As you can see, there are a variety of PAA questions that may assist you in determining what individuals are looking for and what they want to learn. By comprehending these questions, you will be able to determine whether or not you are capable of responding to them. If yes, then you are ready to get to select your niche.
Find out what you love the most and be ready to serve it to the world.
Now it’s time to take a second step: But a web hosting and a domain
Here, we are taking the example of BLUEHOST, a website that offers a hosting service along with a free domain.
Note: You can also purchase your hosting plan from HOSTINGER, HOSTGATOR, GODADDY, or any other website.
Before moving to the purchasing process of web hosting. Let’s take a look at how to buy a domain name.
Give your passion for writing a name.
A domain name is the first impression of what you like to write that is why it is quite important for your blogging. It is also known as the URL or the web address of your website. And it is something like www.abcd.com. Here, abcd is the name of your website and the extensions can be as .com, .in, .org, or any other.
If it is a hard try for you to get a good domain name for your website, go and check panabee, a wonderful domain naming tool that will help you to get the best and most interesting domain name for your writing passion. Now, let’s move to the process of purchasing a web hosting plan.
Buy a place to host your blogging website
It’s time to get a hosting package once you’ve decided on a domain name for your blogging website. But do you need web hosting? Well, web hosting is a reliable place to host WordPress websites. Although WordPress is absolutely free, you still need to buy a hosting plan for your website.
Here, we will help you to know how to buy a hosting plan from BLUEHOST. The process of buying hosting from other websites is almost similar. so, don’t worry if you are selecting a hosting plan from another website.
- Go to the official website Bluehost and click the GET STARTED NOW button to start with the process.
- Now choose the hosting package that best fits your blogging website and your budget. You can choose from a basic blogging plan to a professional plan (available for multi blogging websites).
- Once you choose the right plan for your website, it is time to buy a free domain.
- If you don’t already have a domain name, type the name you wish to purchase in the NEW DOMAIN box. If you already own a domain name, just choose the I HAVE A DOMAIN NAME option.
- Then press the NEXT button.
- Finally, you have completed the process of creating a blogging account.
- To finish the blog hosting setup procedure, click CREATE YOUR PASSWORD.
This is how you can get a domain name and web hosting.
Design and launch your blogging website using WordPress.
Step 1: Install WordPress
This is the second step of how to start blogging. WordPress is completely free to use. However, do not get scared with the word “install”. It’s a lot easier than you would think, and Bluehost makes it simple to take care of everything for you.
- To start with, just simply pick the Log In option.
- Here, you will find several blog design choices, but you can skip this step by scrolling down the page and selecting the SKIP THIS STEP option.
- Now, you will find that WordPress is installed. Now select the option of START BUILDING and just proceed to the dashboard.
Navigate the dashboard options of WordPress
It allows you to see all posts (blogs), make new entries, see and create categories (as many as you need), and view and create tags.
- All Posts
It is the list of all of the posts in the dashboard. The WordPress user can use it to quickly update single or various post categories, status, tags, author, and comments.
View, update or create new categories for your posts that are displayed under them.
- Add New
To add the new page to the blog.
View the keywords that the posts are tagged with, and edit them or add the new ones.
Uses to view the media library (documents, images, & other file uploads) & upload new files.
Check and see the media files uploaded to the WordPress blog.
- Add New
To add new media to the WordPress blog.
Create a new page or browse all of the blog’s pages.
- All Pages
All pages list in the dashboard. Users can use the listing to edit quickly single or various pages’ author, status, parent, and comment.
- Add New
To add new pages for the blog.
The comment manager is used to approve or delete previously submitted or new comments on blog articles and pages.
It allows you to manage themes, alter the blog appearance (if your themes allow it), manage widgets, control menu items, and edit the header of your blog.
Here you can search different themes for your blog website on the WordPress network. You have the option to install themes from elsewhere.
As per the theme, you can use the Customize section to do certain changes to the theme’s design. Things that are customizable include Static Front Page, Color, Title and Tagline, Background Image, and Featured Content.
Widgets are boxes that you can use to add to different areas. As per the theme, you can include the header, homepage, sidebar and footer. Widgets can also use for a search bar, social media links, subscription links, most recent posts, about the text for the blog, most recent comments, links to other blogs you like, and more.
It is possible to create one or more menus, and all of these will appear horizontally in the header.
You can upload any graphic at a particular size (defined by your selected theme) that will be presented at the top of the blog.
It is possible to change the background colors or upload your individual background image.
The editor is designed for advanced WordPress users and includes different code knowledge. It provides the possibility of editing theme code for particular design changes and functionality. If you use an editor, always remember to take a backup of your blog before editing any of the files. If some issue might occur, you have the option to upload a previous version of the code so that the issue can be fixed.
A quick checklist to help you choose your website’s theme
|1. Read the description carefully.|
It has been seen that several (almost all) themes come with a short description of functionality and features. If you go through the description, you can at least get an idea of whether the theme meets your website needs and how you can customizable it.
|2. Check the ratings |
You may use ratings to determine how nice a theme is. Popular themes will have an average of 4.5-5 star ratings displayed in the preview or under theme details.
|3. Preview the theme |
Always preview the theme to get a sense of the general layout and appearance.
|4. Check for responsiveness|
The main purpose of a responsive design is to work on desktop browsers as well as mobile devices. And it is always recommended by Google.
Examples of some of the good free & premium themes
|Free themes||Premium themes|
|Decode – It is a wonderful option for bloggers that wish to keep their websites simple.|
Supernova – A fantastic fit and design for bloggers’ needs.
Clean Retina – Provides a beautiful design with an easy-to-understand appearance.
|Wintersong – Carries an air of the simple essentials. It’s versatile enough to work for each site type.|
Beautiful – With a lot of attention to detail for a one-of-a-kind appearance.
Modern Studio – Available with a modern look to meet the requirements of enthusiastic bloggers.
You can use plugins as per your themes and find updates along with the WordPress platform.
The top 5 the most useful & interesting plugins that you must use are:
- Contact Form 7: It is a contact form that is available with flexible and necessary email options.
- Yoast SEO: This is the SEO plugin for blogs. And the best thing is that it is available absolutely at zero cost.
- Akismet: This plugin is most useful for protecting the comment spam.
- WP Super Cache: If you want to offer load time for your WordPress blog, then this is the best tool.
- Authors Widget: It is a great way to show several authors and their activities on-site.
The user can manage the WordPress profile. You can add users including the name, password, and other details.
He/she/they can perform the action on any of the blogs. Being a site owner, you must reserve it for yourself. Or you can share this power with someone you trust the most.
He/she/they have the access to edit the posts, comments, tags, pages, categories, and links.
They can publish and edit the posts, and upload media.
The facility of writing and editing of the post is given to contributors, but they are unable to publish it with permission.
The subscriber can comment on the pages or post and read the comments of others.
You can add, import, or export the tools for your WordPress blogs.
- Available tools
It has pre-installed tools with the option of “Press This” that offer an easy and quick method to clip images, text, and videos from one site and share them on WordPress blogs.
- Import Tool
It allows the user to import the data from another blogging platform to current WordPress.
- Export Tool
It also allows exporting the blog content that can easily be imported to the new WP installation website. You can consider it as a backup of your blog content.
It is the general setting of your WordPress content.
It configures the options like WordPress site name, URL, data format, description, timezone, and main administrator email.
It allows importing the data from a blogging platform to WordPress.
It provides details about the number of blog posts, items in the RSS feed, summary or full post in the RSS feed, and more.
It controls the comments received on the blog. Also, it holds comments with different links as it considers to be a spammer sign.
It is useful to customize the default sizes for the blog image that has been uploaded.
You can customize the URL structure for your blog.
This is all about the dashboard and its functions. Now, let’s move to the next chapter of how to start blogging.
To take your blogging profession to the next level, choose and install the best WordPress theme.
First of all, I am happy to tell you that installing a theme does not demand any coding knowledge or expertise in coding. A theme is always helpful for designing the blog just as you want.
To help you out with the theme installation, I have taken an example of BYLT, a platform that has a simple WordPress theme, beautiful, and your dream themes. You can easily buy any of the themes you like.
To install it, you have to go to BYLT and find out which theme is best fitted for your blogs. If you have any difficulty with this you can easily take customer support help.
Once you find the desired theme, purchase it and download it into a .zip file from the BYLT dashboard. Save the file to the desktop as it just requires uploading it to WordPress within a moment.
Now, follow the steps to install the theme in WordPress.
- First, just return back to the WordPress dashboard.
- In case you have already signed out of WordPress, go to my.bluehost.com, write the username (or domain name), password, and click Submit.
- Now, check the My Sites option and select Log in to WordPress.
- Now, go to the Appearance option, and then Themes.
- Click the Upload Button.
- Now, select the Upload Theme option and then Choose File option.
- Search for a .zip file (you have to download previously). Click Install Now for installing the new blog design.
- Finally, select the Activate and you will see that the blog theme is installed.
Now add two primary blog plugins for finding the relevant audience and tracking your stats.
Plugins are third-party attachments, which add useful functionalities to blogs.
But try to keep the plugins minimum and install the most and the best ones. Unnecessary and unreliable plugins can be the reasons to slow down the site.
Now, I will tell two important plugins:
- Yoast SEO: It is the standard SEO plugin for WordPress.
- Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights: It enables you to track the traffic of your blog and several interesting data: traffic sources, automatic tracking of page views and outbound clicks, overall traffic, views per category & author.
- In the dashboard, go to the option of Plugins > Add New. Then, search for Yoast SEO.
- Now, select the option of Install Now option by Activate and now you see that it instantly improved the SEO of your blogs.
- Next search for MonsterInsights.
- Now, select the Install Now that is followed by the Activate option.
- After this, click Launch the Wizard and finally follow all the steps sequentially for completing the MonsterInsights setup.
Write appealing and creative content to provide a blog that always readers love to read
This step is really crucial for how to start blogging as writing as per your audience’s mind is not as easy as it might look. Along with this, you need to take care of the things like writing SEO-friendly content and more. But here is a key fact that you need to consider, and that is if you write the things that people love, then there is the chance to get higher traffic. Apart from the traffic, you will get more links and shares to help you to grow more readers.
So, here I have detailed the points to how you should write the content to get more readers.
List of the basic elements of the blog
It must have the potential to grab the attention of the readers.
Always use the keyword phrase that the readers use to find out a topic.
This paragraph always supports you to hold the readers’ attention. If it is good, then it will hold your readers, otherwise, he/she will leave it.
Put your target keyword in this paragraph at least once.
Here, you need to fulfill the requirements and the promises that your readers expect. And try to satisfy the needs of the topic in the best possible way.
The length of the blog must be 1000-3000 at least and more. The more you write, the more clarity you can provide to your readers.
There are numerous readers who do not want to go line to line. But instead, they read the subheading and figure out what information you want to convey to the readers.
Always try to mention the key points of your content in the subheading.
Things to remember about the subheadings:
|Bolded text||Numbered list/bulleted points||Media|
Use bold text to highlight the key points of your content. Avoid highlighting each and everything; otherwise, your overall content seems to be bolded.
Always write the steps or the procedure in the bullet or numbered point.
|Media like infographics or videos help you to separate out your content from the usual content. The image plays an important role in SEO optimization. Do not forget to include the keyword and ALT tag of your container image.|
It must be of two paragraphs that summarize your overall content. Do not miss the key point of your article. If it is necessary, then put a Call To Action (CTA) at the end of your blog. You can write it as “share your thoughts about the article,” ” comment on what you learned from today’s blog,” and more.
If you are a service provider and you want to promote your service, then a call to action is a must.
It is not mandatory that you must include all the points. Just remember that your introduction must be engaging, the main content must be effective, and the conclusion must be solid.
Now, the important points that will help you to write the best content
|Set the particular blogging goals to meet the readers’ requirements. |
Commit to growing as an expert in your own blogging domain.
Try to interact or get engaged with your audience.
Be consistent, also realistic, or just be yourself.
Use any of the editorial calendars to manage your ideas.
Analyze the competition from time to time and edit your work.
Mention We Instead of You.
Ignore any negative criticism and stupidity.
Keep things as simple as possible.
Keep experimenting with your content to test what your reader loves to read.
Once you write your meaningful ideas in your blog, it’s time to promote it.
Let your connections know about your new blog
The first and foremost thing about the promotion is to let your major or minor connections know about your blog. Some of the most efficient methods to doing are:
- Add the latest blog’s URL to the email signature. This will help you to let your contacts check the latest blog.
- Use the social profile of your own self to promote your blog. You can share the link of your blog on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and more.
- You can also use your blog’s URL as the signature or forum profile whenever you participate in any discussion related to your niche.
- If you have contributed to any of the websites, then you can change your author bio with your latest blog URL.
Comment on other blogs related to your niche
If you want to establish a good relationship with top bloggers, commenting is the best way to do it. Research out the top bloggers of your niche and start commenting on their blogs (the latest one). This will also help you to boost up your website as well as page authority.
Contribute to the great and other blogs related to your niche
Google prefers guest blogging as a new and effective tactic for SEO. With the help of guest blogging, you can add quality details to quality blogs. Try to find out the blog that got maximum shares and comments on social shares.
Moreover, try to establish a relationship with great blog editors, and put the new contributions to their websites. They always welcome new contributors (s).
Keep an eye on the competitors
If you want to promote your blog, it is necessary that you must have an eye on the competitor. And it is not mandatory that you need to start from scratch. Make the proper marketing plan and use different and necessary SEO backlinking tools to check all the backlinks of your competitor.
After this, categorize the backlinking methods as directories, social networks, guest posting opportunities, and different marketing tactics. For this, you can use the CognitiveSEO tool to explore your competitor backlinks.
Also, check the paid marketing options
If you have enough budget, then you can invest it to boost up the traffic via paid advertisements. For this, Google AdWords is one of the best options to pay for promoting the blog over Google Search and its display networks.
Apart from this, you also have the option of social media like Twitter, StumbleUpon, Facebook, and LinkedIn. All these have their own promotion platforms that support you to drive quality traffic to your post or website. Generally, these platforms promote your blogs in the form of sponsored reviews and banner advertisements.
Post your blog to different voting and bookmarking site
There are numerous voting and social bookmarking sites as that of the directories. But remember that not all of these sites are worthwhile. You need to check the worthy voting and social bookmarking sites that can easily engage users.
Some of the voting and bookmarking sites are StumbleUpon, BizSugar, Delicious, Reddit, Inbound, and more. But here is the key point that you need to keep in mind. That is, these sites do not want people to promote their blogs directly.
Instead, you can make or engage several friends and occasionally share the content with those friends in the hope of submitting your content to others or their networks.
Try the variety of blog promotion networks
Countless networks love to gather the people who help others to promote the blogs. Some of the networks are Social Buzz Club, Triberr, Viral Content Bee, and others. Moreover, you can also create blog post promotion networks that can be related to your niche. You try the method for sharing your latest blog with the email list friends and Facebook group.
Finally, it’s time to monetize your thoughts using blogs to earn more.
If you are a newbie in the writing industry and your blogging site(s) unable to get enough traffic, then you can use the below-mentioned monetizing tactics to generate the revenue.
It enables you to earn money by promoting others’ products with a little commission. It considers as the easiest monetizing method to get a quick start. Why would it be the best option? Because you can easily apply to a variety of online shopping or affiliate programs with a smaller audience and the only thing that you need to start is a quality blog.
Once you get the desired traffic, you can easily start selling ads to the market advertisers as per your blogging niche. Moreover, it is also possible that you can easily manage the ads on your blogs.
You can also use the different ad selling platforms like BuySellAds that will support you to manage and sell ads quite quickly. There is no hard and fast process to do so. You just need to copy the snippet of the ad code and place it in your blog where you want to display it. It is also beneficial to use for researching the traffic volume vs how much you must charge for the individual ads.
Once you have almost 10-15 quality blogs, then you can easily apply for Google AdSense. It enables the publishers to get enough money from the advertisers. To get the ads for Google, you need to sign up on the Google AdSense platform and get your account approved.
Once it is done, you can easily customize the ad slot for the banners, videos, links, and images and put the Google AdSense code at the relevant slot where you want to display the ads. But here you need to keep in mind that it might take an hour to two to match the best-fitted ads to your website by Google.
Moreover, always follow all the guidelines of Google AdSense and understand where to put the ads to get the maximum from it. You can also do some experiments placing the ads on the different positions on the blog page. Like you can try it on the header portion, just below the title of the blog, sidebar, or any other place.
If you are confused to get the relevant place on putting your ads, check out the Google example site layouts. All they will help you to know where you can get the maximum clicks for the ads.
Selling Services & Products
If you have enough and a trustworthy following, then you actually do not need to have a large pool of audience for selling a service or product. But you must be ready to such questions like:
- What can people ask you for help or advice?
- Do people actually find what you sell?
- What could be the reasonable price to sell a service so that each and desired person avail it?
Here you can write reviews about the service or products on your own blogs. But here you need to follow the guidelines of Google. People who want to get the do-follow link can be ready to pay you more for the sponsored reviews, but do not forget to follow Google’s guidelines before doing so.
If you want to get a more audience, always use or try the service or product that you want to review. It will help you to write down honest, in-depth, and compelling reviews.
- High Authority Profile Creation Sites to Build Quick Backlinks
- 100+ PDF Submission Sites You Should Try to Promote Content
30+ Blogging Tools & Resources to Boost Up Your Blogging Experience
|Free tools: |
SquareSpace.com (14 days free trial)TypePad.com (14 days free trial)
Domain research tools
|Basic search: |
Pcnames.com — instant domain checker Domainr.com — explore the complete domain name space
Premium domains / Advanced search:
Domain Search — comprehensive searchable domain name registration’s databaseWhoisLookup — discover organizations or the people behind a domain name
Logo design tools
Logogarden — start with a free & amazing logo. Squarespace logo — a logo that is made easy.
Logo Yes — design a logo for free (pay to download an HD quality for $0.99)LogoTypeMaker — design a logo for free (pay to download an HD quality for $25)
Photo and image galleries
|FreeImages — the leading source for the free images MorgueFile — free stock photos|
Web design & development services
|Elance — to hire the great freelancersBehance — discover the most advanced work of best collections by creative professionals|
WordPress.org Themes — free WordPress themes directory. Fabthemes — amazing WordPress themes obtainable for free.
ElegantThemes — beautiful premium WordPress themes.StudioPress — professionally created premium WordPress themes.
Graphic & web design tools
|Picfull — free online photo editingPiktoChart — infographic design app to create beautiful, high-quality graphics (paid)|
Video and screen recording tools
|ScreenFlow — screen recording & editing software available for MacCamtasia — powerful, yet easy screen recorder & video editor|
|UberSuggest — free keyword tool along with various key features|
Google Keyword Tool — plan the campaigns and determine what your readers want.
Copywriting & content tools
|FreeMind — mapping software.OneLook — dictionary search for phrases and words.|
Content marketing tools
|Soolve — provide search suggestions from the best providers on the internet.SlideShare — share all that you know through infographics, presentations, and documents.|
Email marketing tools
|MailChimp — the most reliable method to design, transfer, and share email newsletters.GetResponse — email marketing software as well as the autoresponder.|
|Site analytics & optimization tools||Clicky — real-time web analytics.Google Analytics — web analytics as well as reporting.|
|Product distribution and shopping cart tools||PayPal — powerful tools for your business.|
ClickBank — the leader in digital products’ marketing.
|Custom email sign up tools||OptinMonster — gain more email subscribers.|
Hellobar — header bar to present the message.
|Social media & marketing tools||PageLever — the Facebook analytics company.Tagboard — search for any hashtags.|